Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life's soundtrack: Nothing Else Matters

As i mentioned in my Introduction, i love music, especially Rock. I don't know how and when i fell deeply in love with Rock but i can say i grew up with Rock. Maybe when i was a child, my hometown was far away from city, and my best friend at that moment was a radio, i listened to everything from that tiny radio and music was getting to be a part of my life, and this song was one of the first songs i used to hear too much and it also was the first song of Metallica i heard.



One reason i love this song because of its rhythm, kinda soft and easy to listen compared to with other songs of Metallica, but moreover it has a meaningful lyric and a whole romantic story behind.

It was a love story of James Hetfield - singer and rhythm guitarist of Matellica, he wrote this song while talking on the phone with his girlfriend when he was in a tour. Since he held his phone with one hand and other hand worked on his guitar to express the uncontrollable feeling.

So close, no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
and nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
and nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
and nothing else matters

never cared for what they do
never cared for what they know
but I know


James dedicated the lyrics to his girlfriend, indicating the bond, the distance and the rumor they shared when he had to travel around the world for tour was nothing because they were always close at hearts. James never wanted to put this song in the album because he had written for himself but once day Lars Ulrich, the drummer of Metallica, heard it by chance and.... we have a masterpiece.

I don't know how long that romance lasted but the song has now become a staple in Metallica's live performances, and has been dedicated to their fans.

To me, that song is not a song, it is also an encouragement, belief and hope. It got me through the tough time in my life. Just find a quiet place at night, light a candle, close my eyes and listen to this song and everything will be okay.

Forever trusting who I AM
and nothing else matters




Another cover version i really love from Apocalyptica, a band plays metal music on 4 cellos. Unique and totally different.

1 comment:

  1. I really like Apocalyptica, especially their song "Path", but only the one with no words. I never would have guessed you are a metal rock kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete